Recent Posts

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Lynne Suprock: A Mixed Media Expose

Mixed Media Work:   Hours of What if's, 
Days filled with Dreams, Mountains of Ideas, The Fits of Creative Hoopla, 
and The Privilege....

of creating.  

I am one of the lucky ones.  In a period of life, where I can get a second chance to change the world on yet a different platform.  It doesn't happen like this usually, so I am indeed....lucky.  

I have been blessed to discover others with this sense of passion that believe the same about art.  We may sometimes find ourselves walking on different paths to get to a similar place, but that's quite OK.  Some walk quietly while others beat a drum.....some work hard to earn a living at art, and some create in their precious moments in between family, school or other jobs, but either way, it is with that same amount of passion.  Like a flower, starting from a seed, however long ago planted, and now must take the time and make the room to grow.  Yes, I said, "must."  There is a sense of urgency, but at the same time a sense of wonder and calm as art transforms us and gives us the strength to bloom as we reach life goals. 

 Most of the people that I have met, both artists and students, are the kindest, smartest, bravest, hardest working, and definitely most creative people - ever.  I never imagined, and now am honored to be among...


Simply Pretty Stuff began in 2007, with a click of a button to get that business name and the necessary tax ID.  Gulp.
Family and friends have been nothing less than supportive and encouraging from those early days forward.  It was a bit overwhelming with all that needed to accomplished, and all of it seemed to be needed to be done all at once! To make some kind of difference in the world, using art now as my venue, I had to exist beyond craft or hobby; I had to invent, create, and prototype, so that I could  teach and help others realize their own potential in the creative process.  Well, mostly I had to, at some point, get out of my basement!  I worked three years there before finally getting a dedicated work area of my own.  Time flew.

In my opinion, sometimes creating or buying art heals, sometimes being in a room with creative people with like minds heals,  sometimes just working with your hands and making something out of nothing heals, and for me, the healing part of the equation is key.  The healing is about writing, teaching,  helping, and it is about the sharing. 

On any night, you may finding me inventing or reinventing in the studio when the neighborhood is asleep.  Its summer now, so the spiders cover the screen door to my space.  I don't mind them.......from a distance.  About midnight, they are hard to dodge so it is not a pretty sight when I have to get back out that door.  ick.

I tell you this because many of my art brothers and sisters are also up creating during the wee hours.  The mind is always asking "what if?" so we keep on going.  Resin needs poured, hinges need reworked, clay needs shaped, metal needs soldered, and wait.....the kiln needs to cool!  It is somewhat comforting to know that during that time, if needed, you can FB or call a friend who is not sound asleep like the rest of the world.  Just knowing that makes me smile.  Okay, and knowing others may think this a bit too crazy, also makes me smile.  Not so crazy for me I guess, if you actually know me.  Back in the day, my preferred clinical shift was always 2-12 AM, when I was most energized and efficient. Some things don't change.

Eight years have passed and lots has been published, much has been taught, friends have bonded.  I have never worked so hard and loved every minute.  However, the path is forking again and I see some new ideas ahead.  I have a sense of urgency this time to gather all the threads of these two "helping" worlds and bring things a bit forward.  It is time to concentrate on that business aspect of the path as well.  Some changes are ahead and I am challenged and inspired to do so.  I had just read a friend's post today, which made me think a bit and then respond.......
"to know what calms or inspires us is like having a superpower that not all folks have or can manage"

Reach out your hand, in whatever walk of life, past or present, and help others find their superpower, so that they can know calm or be inspired.  Mixed Media has helped me find my superpower so that I can bring some calm and make a bit of difference in someone else's world.

If you'd like to see the mixed media art that inspired me to write and teach, here is a sample of what I have worked on to create, mostly in the last 4 years.  It is not all of it, but enough of it to look at without putting you to sleep.  Now get a bit of your art on!  xo







0 comments :

Post a Comment